Meeting with Your Elected Official

Arranging a Meeting with Your Elected Official

Generally the best person to contact would be your provincial legislative representative especially for issues related to health and education. However, the subject of ADHD should also be of national importance so your federal MP is also an option.

Nothing brings home your interest and passion in this issue like a face to face meeting. Unfortunately some people can feel too intimidated to take this step. But, there is no need to feel intimidated. Elected officials are there to serve you and hear your concerns. They understand that when someone takes the time and makes an effort to meet with them, they feel strongly about what they want to discuss. And similar to a written letter, they know that when one person meets with them about an issue, chances are there are others out there with similar concerns.

However, before you meet with your elected official make sure you do your homework. After all you want to be taken seriously, potentially change your official’s view and generally have a significant impact. Read Tips for Advocacy Success to prepare your points and your “ASK”. Write them down. Keep your points succinct, stay on subject and make sure you allow time to get your main message across. Always ask how much time has been allotted for the meeting, but don’t be surprised if they arrive late and leave early. They will generally allow you to present your message first and if they are interested they will allow time for a discussion.

If you have decided to meet with your elected official access the contact information below. Send them an e-mail or call their constituency office requesting a meeting at their constituency office and briefly describe what you wish to speak about. Remember, your elected official cannot refuse to meet with you.

Please note, elected officials cannot meet with you to discuss intervening in accessing healthcare or education resources for your individual child. However, you can certainly discuss issues with accessing services in health, education etc. and use your child’s situation as an example.

Contact Information for MPPs & MLA’s etc.

Please access the following list of links for MPP’s (Member of Provincial Parliament) & MLA’s (Member of Legislative Assembly) in your province/territory.

Click here for MPP & MLA Contact Listing.

Click Here for Ontario MPP