The Assessment and Diagnosis of Adult ADHD

There are a variety of medical professionals that may assess/diagnose (and treat) ADHD:

  • Adult Psychiatrist (with ADHD training)
  • Neurologist (with ADHD training)
  • Psychologist (with ADHD training) – Psychologists do not prescribe medication
  • Family Physician (with ADHD training)

Specialist physicians will require a referral from your family physician.


The assessment and diagnosis of adult ADHD by a physician is generally covered by your provincial health care plan, however some adult psychiatrists and private clinics may charge a fee above provincial coverage. Always ask if any additional fees will be charged.

Psychological Testing

Psychologists are not covered by provincial health care plans, but may be partially covered by private health coverage. Speak to the psychologist prior to contacting your private provider.

Psychoeducational testing is not required for an adult ADHD assessment. Some psychologists will do a comprehensive adult ADHD assessment without psychoeducational testing for a reduced fee.


Psychoeducational testing is not required to access post-secondary accommodations.  A report from the treating ADHD physician outlining impairments is acceptable.

ADHD in the Post-Secondary Education System

Questions to ask before deciding on a health care professional to assess/diagnose ADHD:

  • What is their level of expertise in ADHD?
  • Are they taking new patients and what is their wait time?
  • Do they provide long term follow-up care?
  • Is a full screening for other potential medical disorders part of the assessment process?

Information on what should be involved in a thorough assessment, psychological testing and the requirements for a diagnosis.